Skip to main content

Need to Know

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. (I can hear you all saying, "Thanks for that, Captain Obvious!").  When it comes to myeloma, my dullness becomes even more pronounced. Many people in my situation overheat their keyboards googling information, and wear out their doctors by asking questions. For me, that just doesn't work. Almost every time I have researched, attended a conference or read the latest newsletter from Myeloma Canada, I have found myself in the dark places of this disease. The places where you learn the incredible complexity of  blood and bone marrow cancer. The places where you see the catastrophic damage both the disease and the treatments do to your body. Dark places that end in death.

You might be picturing an ostrich, bearing a striking resemblance to me, with his head firmly planted in the sand. You would not be completely wrong, but I think of it more as learning things on a "need to know" basis. The confirmation came this week of another relapse, so once again there is a "need to know." I am learning that my particular cancer can be knocked down with treatment but it has the ability to get up quickly; neither of my remissions was as long as the doctors expected. I am learning that certain drugs and treatments are being crossed off the list. I have learned that symptoms and side effects become more frightening as I move further down the path.

Our doctor has guided us to choosing what the next steps will be (#thankful). Please pray that a couple of details will fall into place:

  1. That approval for compassionate funding of a very costly but crucial drug will take place.
  2. That arrangements can be made for treatment closer to home (Red Deer).
More importantly, please pray for Kathy, that somehow she is able to weather yet another dark storm.

In the meantime, I am trying to be okay with not being that sharp. I will try instead to know, deep in a place that google has never gone, that I am loved. That I am seen.  That God has not forgotten me. Going against my deeply ingrained tendency to despair I will try be certain that God will indeed hone within me faith and hope. That God's love will penetrate my thickest darkness. 

After all, it has nothing to do with the knife and everything to do with the One holding that knife. I pray we all can find rest in God's loving hands.



Comments

  1. We're praying for you, Brian, and many, many others. Sometimes it feels like cancer remedies are prayer too. You never know, with absolute certainty. Only faith keeps us going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. We pray for you two, and Heidi as well. Keep the faith.

      Delete
  2. Brian, thank you for continuing to share your wisdom and your gift of writing to bring us all along on this journey with you and Kathy. Please be encouraged that you don't walk alone, and you are not at all forgotten. You're remembered and prayed for daily here. Each Monday my students do a 'week dedication,' where they speak about someone who inspires them on the journey, and who we all want to keep in mind for the week. You were the first dedication I gave early in the year, so now even my class is aware of your journey and we continue to pray for healing, strength and the peace that passes all understanding for you. Keep the faith, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brady. I am humbled to think of you doing a dedication and your class saying a prayer on occasion. Thank you and please thank them. Despite how much of this journey with cancer I hate, I am thankful for the ways that I have known God's love because of the path we walk. I am sure God has been trying for years to remind me of his love for me. I wasn't always paying attention.
      Your note of encouragement and the prayers of students who don't even know me remind me again how God's love often comes through his people. I am so thankful for people who live that love. Blessings to you and the grade 9 students at ECNE. You too are loved by God. Keep the faith!

      Delete
  3. Hello Brian! Once again your fearless honesty has made a deep impression of me. I want you to know that I am among the many who hold you in prayer; you are remembered! FYI the book you helped me write is at the printer and will be available in mid January. If you need to surf something else on the web you can check out my author website: www.johnehull.com As you likely know, Teaching for Transformation is spreading all over. I see it as hopeful course correction for our tradition of Christian education. You played an important role in launching that initiative. I know relationships with students is what defined your teaching (we won't forget how you helped our son Jon his first year in Edmonton), equally important, your work on TFT has the potential to make systemic changes. Godspeed on your journey, Brian. Your friend, John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John. Thanks for the support. I had to look around the room to see who you were talking about when you said, "fearless honesty" :). I am anything but fearless in all of this and my honesty is often aspirational--I often write with the hope that I can live into the faith and assurance that I write about. Knowing that there are people out there who share those aspirations in prayer is a huge encouragement.
    Now I better check out that author website...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment