Skip to main content

Update: 6 Years

A bone marrow biopsy will confirm it, but we are 95% sure that you have a blood cancer called Multiple Myeloma.

This past week we remembered that it has now been six years since we first heard those words from a very compassionate doctor at the Lethbridge hospital. Six years! The months that followed those were, I think, the most difficult of my life.  Heavy grief. Debilitating pain from cancer-crumbled vertebrae and fractured ribs. Long hospitalizations.  Future plans dashed. In those first days, everything we read about aggressive myeloma told us that the chance of survival beyond three years was around 65%, beyond five years less than 35%. If someone had guaranteed us 6 years, we definitely would have considered ourselves blessed.

And blessed we are. Research into treatments and possibly a cure have burgeoned in those years. I, by God's grace, seem to be riding the front edge of the advancements of that research. After a disappointingly short 30 month remission from my stem cell transplant, I was able to enrol in a phase two clinical trial of a brand new drug under development. When the myeloma charged back after about a year, I began receiving a triplet of drugs, one of which was brand new and therefore unfunded and in little use.  A providential phone call in which I spoke to just the right person at the right time helped gain access to this drug on a compassionate basis. Again, after a promising start and a partial remission, the myeloma showed up in numerous "hot spots' in my bone marrow in just over a year.

In January of 2024, another miracle. I was hospitalized for six days to begin my fourth treatment protocol, an immunotherapy treatment with a drug that only recently received a limited Health Canada approval. Once again, because funding was not yet established, I became one of only a few in Alberta to receive the treatment through the compassion program of the pharmaceutical company. Four months into that treatment (weekly injections), my cancer markers indicate a deep and effective response. We are #thankful for that and we are adjusting to the fatigue and extreme risk of infection that come as a side effects.

The other thing we are adjusting to is that when we started this treatment in January, we were told that at this moment there is no real effective treatment ready for my next relapse. This could be the last stand. That was not easy to hear. Once again, as it has been for six years, we need to remind ourselves to find the blessings in life and choose to live into the goodness of EACH day. At the very centre of that goodness is the unreserved love God has for us... and for you too!

May we all abide in that love, one day at a time. 

Now.... we have more garden to plant!

Comments

  1. Brings tears to my eyes, Brian. Praise God and thanks to all those who hold you up.
    I'm writing from New Zealand, where Jean and I are with Heidi for a month. She has been labelled NED, no evidence of disease, but she's still in a state of mine where she awaits each new scan with some trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul and Jean. What miraculous news for Heidi and for those who love her. The fear that comes between scans is understandable. Causing fear is another one of cancer's insidious character traits. We will pray first that Heidi will remain "NED" and second that, with time, the threat she feels will further fade.
      It is good to hear from you. Enjoy the "Land of the Long White Cloud."

      Delete
  2. It is a journey full off heaven Sent miracles indeed!
    How are you doing now Brian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther. (Sorry for my delay. I just saw your comment now) We are truly thankful for prayers answered! We are confident in God's goodness. The "How are you doing" question you ask, is the most frequent question I get. It is a complex question because of the range of true answers I could give. So, I will first say that I know and experience God's love for me. There are days that I am able to fully trust in that love and days when that is more difficult. And, there are days in between.
      From the medical side, my blood tests look very good. I will have a Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan in three weeks to make sure the cancer is not hiding in my bone marrow (again). In other words, physically things look good! On the mental health side, I have struggled a bit. Six years in this battle has left me quite weak emotionally. Some adjustments are being made to my medications that should help.
      Today, I feel good! #Thankful
      As I write this I am saying a prayer that you and your family are well and that you abide in the great love God has for you. Too bad the distance is so great that we can't come for coffee and talk! Keep the faith!

      Delete

Post a Comment