Skip to main content

Home Stretch


Nov 13:  Check into Cross Cancer Institute
Nov 14:  High dose chemotherapy
Nov 15/16:  Stem cell transplant
3 to 4 weeks of hospitalization

I recently received an encouraging email saying that I was heading to the home stretch.  Indeed, that home stretch begins in exactly one week when I check into the Cross for 3-4 weeks. This home stretch will involve transplanting stem cells and subsequently growing healthy bone marrow and blood.

What I remember from my days of running cross country and track (1500m) is that the home stretch has this strange mixture of relief, hope and struggle.  Relief that it is almost over.  Hope inspired by the sight of the finish line.  Struggle to get through the pain and discomfort of the effort needed for the finishing kick.

As that home stretch gets closer I am certainly feeling relief that this part of the journey MAY almost be over and I am hopeful about being in remission by Christmas.  I must admit though that I am getting increasingly anxious about the struggle that these next weeks will be.  Please pray that that anxiety may not get the best of me.  Pray that I might trust God in all of this and that I will be strong physically and mentally for the struggle ahead.  Pray for remission.  Pray for Kathy as this is a home stretch for her too.

Thanks for helping us keep the faith.

Comments