Skip to main content

Ride the Wave

 In January, when the myeloma monster sprang to life once again in my body, it prompted the inevitable conversations with my doctor about how far we were from the end of this pathway. Without talking  specific numbers of months or years his answer had two parts. First, he said that our backs weren't up against the wall...yet.  Treatment options exist that should still knock the cancer back down. Then he said something that is becoming a bit of a mantra for us.  He said, "I have a friend who surfs.  As my friend treats his patients, he often likens it to catching the next good wave."  My doctor paused, then said, "Brian, it's time to ride the wave."

I will admit that we know very little about surfing, but as we finish up Cycle 5 of the clinical trial, the hard work of paddling out seems to be mostly finished.  We've turned our board to face the shoreline of the future. Even though this ocean and its waves are unpredictable, and at times frightening, we are ready to ride the wave as far as the Creator of that wave allows.

 #Stoked (I promise dudes, thats the only surfer lingo I will try).

May 2022: "Riding the wave" with friends in
Alberta's Badlands. We are #thankful for all of our fellow surfers. 










Comments